Saturday, August 15, 2020

Spike Lee

 


Spike Lee

Host:  Tanner

Freddy's Take:  This was a very timely choice by Tanner and all of us had this guy on our short list and we just hadn't gotten to him yet. Spike Lee makes thought provoking films and while he can be called controversial by some, I feel like he is just expressing his worldview while also trying to consider those that may not share it. His films are art and can move a person through several emotions in a two hour time frame. "The 25th Hour" is a solid film with great performances and doesn't give the viewer many happy moments and it's not designed to. In "The BlackkKlansman", Lee weaves comical elements through a largely dramatic theme and is constantly giving us a dual look at race and reaction to race. Both were enjoyable and heavy, but neither of them (I had seen both previous to today) held a candle to "Do The Right Thing". I'm not sure why, but while each of us were familiar with Lee's work, not one of us had seen this film. I don't know why I haven't. For purposes of our "Director Day", I kind of liked that we were exposing ourselves to a highly influential and groundbreaking movie at the same time and that was a bonus. We couldn't bring our "baggage" into the discussion, we were all on equal ground. 

This film made me laugh....it made me mad....it made me hopeful...it moved me to tears....it entertained me...but most of all, it made me think. There are contrasts all over the movie between characters and the groups they come from. Cultures clash and most of the characters seem to want their "personhood" and culture respected, yet, they rarely afford that to others. For the majority of the film the "Mookie" character tries to break out of that and wants to go forward through his day with little friction, he just wants to make his money. In many other characters, the interactions between different races fosters disrespect and misunderstanding and it brings out core bigotry that may not always be from a place of malice, but from a place of just wanting to be accepted for who they are in day to day life, where they come from, and what they consider to be important to who they are as a human being. We are a tribal people and when pushed to the brink, we can revert to our evolutionary tendencies to seek protection by retreating to our "group".

At the conclusion of the movie, we had a 30 or so minute discussion and it was clear that Lee had created a masterpiece of cinema that does everything a film lover could want. It impacted the three of us and gave us pause on our preconceived notions of race and culture relations. I immediately went to Amazon and bought my own copy and will be revisiting it soon. It has my attention as a reflection of life and race relations in our country. I don't have an all-time favorite movie list, but after one viewing, I already consider this one of the best films I've ever seen. I could write a lot more and go into my feelings deeper, but that's not really what this blog is about and then, I wouldn't really feel right doing so, without having seen this fantastic movie a couple more times. I am sure there is more for my mind to harvest on future viewings. If you happen to stumble across this writing and haven't seen it yet.....do the right thing....go rent it now! 


Do The Right Thing



The 25th Hour



BlackkKlansman





You Know It's Spike Lee If.....





No comments:

Post a Comment