Sunday, January 19, 2020

Billy Wilder


Billy Wilder 

HOST: Freddy

Freddy's Take:  Until a few months ago I had never seen a Wilder film. He wasn't on my radar for some reason. Not because I don't appreciate classic film, but simply because I hadn't run across him. I found "Some Like It Hot" for $5 and bought it as a curiosity. I enjoyed it and looked up the director (Billy Wilder) and went from there to watching Double Indemnity, Stalag 17, and The Apartment. All of those are terrific movies, but the film that got me motivated to dump the director I had planned on doing was Sunset Boulevard. That one is a revelation. A daring examination of Hollywood in it's day, I found it both engaging and captivating. I wanted to watch it again right after it ended. I went into it expecting a "noir" type film, but came away understanding that Hollywood has always had problems in what it values and how easily it can move on from the people who built it. The underlying theme of not being able to accept one's current lot in life and living in the past or a delusion was attractive also. Glad I found this guy! I have found another "old master" and feel like my world in terms of being a movie lover has been greatly expanded. As a bonus, Tanner, Chris and I came up with a new drinking game....called "Take Another Shot Baby!" (see below)



Sunset Boulevard



Double Indemnity


This is a great noir film that hits all the right buttons and is even more fun as a drinking game. While watching, you can have fun with your pals or just get blasted by yourself. Every time Fred MacMurray says "baby", take a drink. Every time Fred MacMurray lights a match with his thumb, take a drink. Every time a character says "down the line", take a drink. If you really want to add to the fun, every time that Fred MacMurray says "Keyes", take a drink. Take two aspirin and call the doctor!!!



Some Like It Hot



Billy Wilder: Best Screenwriter Ever?






No comments:

Post a Comment